Sunday, December 30, 2007

Which Chapter?

I've had an old worn Xeroxed copy of this poem for years w/o knowing it's origin or author. I thought I'd type it into the computer for safe keeping. Since I did, and I recently found it online so now I know who wrote it, I thought I'd share it here.

Sometimes I find it helpful when I'm reflecting. If I'm struggling with something, I figure out which "chapter" I'm in.
I'm working on my goals and resolutions for the new year, so I'm reflecting on my life and habits and things I'd like to accomplish. So without further ado, here's the poem.
Chapter I

I walk down the street.

There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.

I fall in.

I am lost...

I am helpless.

It isn't my fault.

It takes forever to find a way out.

Chapter II

I walk down the same street.

There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.

I pretend I don't see it.

I fall in again.

I can't believe I'm in the same place, but it isn't my fault.

It still takes a long time to get out.


Chapter III

I walk down the same street.

There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.

I see it is there.

I still fall in...it's a habit.

My eyes are open.

I know where I am.

It is my fault.

I get out immediately.


Chapter IV

I walk down the same street.

There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.

I walk around it.


Chapter V

I walk down another street.

6 comments:

SmilynStef said...

One of my favorites too ... thanks for the new year's reminder.

Donna C. said...

Jacki, you may not remember that I teach in a juvenile jail. I have this posted in my classroom and base lessons on it. It is truly wonderful.

Melissa said...

I have never read this before. It certainly has some great lessons. Thanks for sharing.

Miss Misi said...

TFS!!!

ReneeK said...

This is the first I've read this....and how very true it is! Thanks for sharing, Jacki!

Sharon in NE said...

I have never read that...but I am saving that now. Thank you!!!