Thursday, May 1, 2008

Three Easy Steps...

This card is for someone God prompted me to bless this morning, but you can read more about that later.
The saying in the set, actually says, May God's presence bring you peace. But I stamped a lot of words inside-- love, peace, inspiration, joy, etc... (Edited post to add inside of this card-- see below)

Stamps:Background is Flourish Borders (Hero Arts), Bleeding Heart (smARTworks)
Ink: Memories Artptint Brown(Stewart Superior),Blue Bayou (SU), Versifine Onyx Black (Tsukineko)Other: Circle Punches, Prismacolor Pencils.

Thanks for all your suggestions on the classes. I'll develop some classes in my mind and let you know what I'm thinking.
I had to chuckle when I read Beth's comment on the previous post. She wants me to teach "how to be awesome in three easy steps". I'm afraid I'm going to burst her bubble, because I was planning to tell you how much of a dork I am.

Before I do that, let me say that if you think agree with Mary and Beth that I could teach a class on being awesome, it's only because what you see is a great work of the Holy Spirit (over the course of many years). In three easy steps, I can tell you how to be awesome... for free.

Step One: Love God with all your heart.

When you concentrate on loving God, your focus is on pleasing him and not the people who see you. What does loving God mean? John 14:15 says " if you love me, keep my commandments." The book of 1 John has a lot of practical verses about showing your love for God, by loving our brothers. If you read the chapter in 1st Corinthians often referred to as the Love chapter you will see that Love is a verb. Loving God is shown by loving our brothers and neighbors. Remember the parable of the Good Samaritan? ( Luke 10; 25-37) There is a lot of help in the Bible... which brings me to the next point.


Step Two: Learn God with all your mind.

I was just talking to my daughter about a very intelligent famous person who is an avid reader who also denounces the God of the Bible. I wondered if she's ever read the Bible with an open heart. A lot of us are turned off by "organized religion" when we go through that stage in our lives when we are supposed to question what we were taught, when the folks who taught us don't seem worthy. -- Or at times when we see church leaders in the news who have gone wrong. For me it was reading the Bible from the beginning, understanding that God never intended for us to live on our own. None of us are worthy and can't be worthy. He intended to walk with us and at times carry us. Realizing that, we redirect our focus from the people and to God. Read the Bible for yourself. Start wherever you'd like. I remember reading about Abraham on the mountain and wondering how he got to that point of faith in his life, so I started from the Beginning.



Step Three: Listen to God with all your soul.

Once you know Him and how He speaks to you, it's important to obey. After all obeying Him or keeping his commandments is how we love Him right? One of my favorite Christian singers, Babbie Mason, wrote a song where she talked about being so close to God that she could hear Him whisper... not a shout, but a whisper. I heard that song in the early '90s and it had a life changing impact on me. I'm listening... Am I perfect, nope. But as the bumper sticker reads, "Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven". I would love to have better habits when it comes to reading my Bible. But just this morning, I felt God prompting me to bless somebody and I thought, "Oh my goodness. My little deed won't make a difference. Surely someone who knows her better will take care of it." And I was quickly reminded of my own words... Never underestimate your small part in someone else's blessing.... So I listened and obeyed and I am excited to be used by God in even the smallest way to bless somebody else. I remember a time several years ago when I didn't listen, but instead listened to that voice of doubt. Months later, that friend told me about how God sent someone at the last minute to do something special for her as she prepared for a missions trip and how much it meant to her ( It was exactly what He'd told me to do, down to the dollar). I'm glad she didn't miss out on God's provision because of me, but I missed my blessing, my chance to love God. I try to do better now. It's not about perfection, but it's all about growth.
So there you have it, Beth, for free! How to be Awesome in Three Easy Steps.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
I almost don't want to ruin the mood by telling you how dorky I am. But I will anyway. You can always come back and read the rest later.

Yesterday, I wanted to take a picture of a card I made and I didn't have my camera. I didn't want to go back and forth up and down the steps so I sent the boy. "Look in the basement for my camera", I said. He came back without it. "I can't find it, mom", he said. I assumed he "looked" for it like all kids look for something that is of no importance to them personally. Eventually, I made my way down that evening. By now it's dark so there's no taking pictures anyway and I couldn't find it either! I was starting to wonder, but I haven't taken it out of the house, so where in the world could it be? I headed back up to my room for bed and as I entered my room, there it was, right behind the chair I was sitting in when I sent the boy off to look for it in the first place. I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere.... Yes, I'm a dork!
That reminds me of a good movie I rented a couple of weeks ago, Sydney White. Although it's based on Snow White and the seven dwarfs, I wouldn't allow my younger kids to see it unless you plan to have discussions afterwards. Here is a trailer for the movie.
So tomorrow I'll show you the card I wanted to photograph yesterday, OK? Have a blessed day, and be a blessing!


Here is the inside of the card... crooked stamping and all...

7 comments:

The Rubber Maid said...

Your card is so beautiful and so are your words of wisdom. How true it is that in order to really know God we have to open our hearts and minds. Sometimes I get side tracked in my prayers but then I realize God knows it's just a mind boggle and soon I'm back on track.
Thanks for sharing all you do, you truly are wonderful. Pat

Dot said...

You should write a book!! You have so much wisdom and are able to express it so well!!

Thank you for sharing!
Dot

Sharon in NE said...

I'm SO far behind reading blogs, but I haven't stopped thinking and praying for you even though I haven't told you so. This particular post, though, I'm glad I didn't miss. YOU are a blessing.

Unknown said...

I want to be your kind of dork. Or should it be... you're my kind of dork?? Either way, it's true! and what a great card. Deb

Juliana said...

I just started subscribing (via RSS feed) a couple of weeks ago--and boy am I glad I did!!
Great stamping and from the heart writing!!!

This post found me a just the right time!! Such an encouragement!

Michelle Adams said...

This is truly beautiful - and thank you for being such a dork like me! LOL!!!!! xo hugs xo

beth said...

...okay, you win. i'll give you "being awesome in three steps"...but i'm pretty sure those aren't really that easy...

praise God for grace! can't wait to see you guys :)