Wednesday, June 23, 2010

this is now a journal about moving

  • “Moving again?”
  • “I don’t know how you do it?” 
  • “You could write a book.”

Just a few of the comments I've heard over and over again.

So here we are again. My husband’s company decided that Michigan is where he need to be instead of Georgia. So once again we pack up the kids and the dog in the old jalopy and head out.  Before all that can happen, there are a lot of things that need to get done.  Yes, I could write a book, but we all know I won’t.  Instead, I’m going to journal about it as a way of remaining sane during this process.
The funny thing is, the older I get, the more accepting I am that this is a part of my fate. I’m accepting, but I don’t necessarily like it. I’m also old enough to admit that this time I have an attitude.  I don’t want to move; at least not to Michigan.  I wasn’t a big fan of the weather in MI is a nice way to say, I hate snow! I hate cold!
The positive side of moving back to MI is the people. We did have a lot of good friends that I am looking forward to re-connecting with.  And we left a daughter there so it will be nice to be close to her again.
Another positive is we are moving back to an area where we’ve already lived so that initial adjustment period should be shorter. That first year after moving is such a downer. I’m always sooo disoriented.  I have to find new doctors, new routines, finding new places for all stuff in the house. Everyday life is just more time consuming which means less time for downtime. It really cuts into my crafting time. The second year is a little better.  By year three, we finally make friends, establish a normal routine, fit in, and then bam! -- it’s time to leave. Three years is the average amount of time we’ve lived in one place with the range going from 1 1/2 years to 6 1/2 years. We will be here exactly 3 years in about a week and a half.

There will be so much to coordinate and do over the next two months--which is about how much time we have before school starts. We have to sell a house-- which means we have to clean up and finish all those projects we've started. We have to figure out where we are going to live in Michigan, which means buying or renting a house. We have to actually schedule and plan the move. There is so much to coordinate.  These things don't necessarily stress me out, but they can.  Murphy's law is always in effect in times like these.  "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong." But, I prefer to concentrate on this mind-set. "Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it."  This is a quote from Lou Holtz.  He's got more to say that inspires me that I'll quote from time to time.

Journey with me as I try to find positives and especially God’s hand in each aspect of this endeavor.

5 comments:

Mike said...

Again? That was my first response when I heard about the move. Its good you get to be near the 'daughter you left there" but you'll be leaving one back in Georgia. I'll be reading as you journey on your adventure. Stay positive!

P.S. - I like pictures!

Jacki Marie said...

Who is Mike?
I was deliberately mentioning positives. Leaving my baby back here in GA, no matter how capable the hands I'm trusting to look after her, is difficult. So, no... that goes on my list of negatives, and I'm not dwelling on that right now. Thanks for reading and yes, I'll be including pictures.

Velda said...

Your friends will be with you in spirit. You'll just add some new friends, but won't lose the old friends. Best of luck.

Dawn Bibbs said...

:-(
And that's all I have to say about THAT!!

loni.sue said...

of course i will follow your blog. even though it makes my synapses sizzle with memories. not all good. i hate moving. i agree totally with your paragraph about year one, year two, year three. i say skip straight to third year.