Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Congratulations President Obama!

If only I had kept my kids home from school today, I wouldn't have cried alone at the historic moment I witnessed on TV. (I did record it so that my husband and I can share it with them later.)
If only my dad was still alive. I would have enjoyed the experience with him as I did so many other historical moments. The members of my family, but mainly my dad, instilled in me a sense that I am only a small part of something bigger than myself, a sense of patriotism, and a sense of pride.
If only all Americans would allow themselves to see past race, we can be more effective in building each other up instead of wasting all our energy tearing each other down.
If only all people would open their hearts and minds to God's love, it would radiate from them and spread throughout the entire world.
If only more people would agree with me that it's time to celebrate what we have in common. It far outweighs what's different about us.

I'm not a political person, but I am a lover of people. Today I witnessed a man sworn into the office of the Presidency of the United States and man who inspires people to be better, to do better. I pray that the inspiration is channeled into actions that help our nation be an even better place to be.

I'm convinced that God is up to something big!

7 comments:

Laurie in MN said...

I agree.

I have always loved watching the swearing in ceremonies. Hopefully, people will be inspired to continue their interest.

Stacy said...

Oops -- got too long-winded on the previous post, so I decided to try to be more concise ...

It was definitely a historic day! And although I may not share political ideologies with Mr. Obama, I do share the vision that it's time we unite together, regardless of political party, race, etc., and get this country back on track. So I'm looking forward to seeing what God will do through him in these next four years!

Unknown said...

Jacki, I AM a political person and DH and I were glued to the tv all morning. We both cried at many times. We are both filled with hope and awe at this man's ability makes us feel hope and make us believe in ourselves again. Americans need him so much. God bless and keep him safe.

Anonymous said...

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN, Sis.!!!!

Take care and STAY POSITIVE! Trena said...

Jacki,
I had the TV on all day watching the coverage! I paid full attention when our new President and Vice President were sworn in. I am excited about our country's future. I believe in my heart President Obama will make a positive impact on the world.

Take care and STAY POSITIVE!

Anonymous said...

It was a historical day and I, too, watched it.
As a Christian, however, we should be looking at what he stands for. He said he would sign the Freedom of Choice Act, which I believe he did this week. I am very disappointed and saddened. It makes me wonder what other plans he has for our country.
I don't care what color our president is, as long as he makes good decisions for our country based on the Judeo-Christian beliefs it was founded upon. Let's look at what really matters.

Jacki Marie said...

Rae, you said, "Let's look at what really matters?" I agree with you that it doesn't matter what color our President is. I regret that you get that impression from reading my blog. It has never been said here. Don't bother to assume or read between the lines because I say what I mean.
And as a Christian, I believe that it is my job is to pray for the President and respect the office. As a Christian, once the election is over, that's all you can/ should do. It is all our best interest that this president succeed.
I do believe that God is in control of this country and my life no matter who is President. So, I still choose joy, no matter what!