Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Hawaiian Meatballs and Peach Cobbler

With that title, you probably thought I found some new and exotic patterned paper or ink colors, right? No, this time I'm actually talking about food!

Sadly, no card making for me this weekend. I don't even remember Saturday, but I think it involved housework or something. I seem to have blocked it out of my mind. We were out of town on Sunday of course and yesterday I spent half the day in the kitchen and the other half at the grocery store. I woke up hungry yesterday and wouldn't even put together a complete breakfast. We had cereal, but no milk. Pancakes, but no syrup. I've been making small trips to the grocery store lately after the surgery, but now it was time to go and take care of business! With MP3 player in my pocket and head phones on so that I can focus, I spent at least an hour loading up my grocery cart.


It was when I was putting away groceries that I thought about the Peach Cobbler. I realized that my kids don't remember having my Peach Cobbler. It's been a while since I've made it. I'm famous for it in my family with my parents and my sisters... at least I used to be. I stopped baking so much when I started losing weight 11 years ago. I turned to other crafty ways to use up my creative juices. --That's why I say card making is my fat free way to express my creativity on my blog, by the way. When all the kids were little, I used to bake almost daily. They loved me and I got fat!

I made so much food yesterday that I won't have to cook today... soooo I'll be stamping tonight.



Besides the Peach Cobbler, I tried a new recipe. Sarah sent me a cookbook that people from her church compiled as a fund raiser. Even without a picture, I almost followed this recipe for Hawaiian Meatballs. True to myself, I made a few changes to suit me and to accommodate what we lacked in the form of ingredients. But even with my tweaking it, it was big hit!





Did they like the Peach Cobbler? You be the judge...

Peach Cobbler by Jacki Jones
Peaches:
32 oz can sliced peaches (chop or dice them is you want)
cornstarch

1/2 cup sugar
cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg ( I use Pumpkin Pie spice)
Heat fruit in syrup in 3 quart saucepan. Add sugar and spices to taste. Bring to a boil. Add cornstarch mixed with a little water. Cook a few minutes longer. Juice will thicken.

Cake Topping
3/4 cups of sugar

1/4 cup of softened butter
1 cup sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teas salt
1/2 c milk
1 teas vanilla flavoring
1 egg

Blend butter and sugar together. Add in sifted flour, salt, baking powder. Continue to mix on low to medium. Add milk and vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes. Add egg and beat for 2 more minutes.
Slowly pour batter over warm fruit in a 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes in the center of the oven. Serve with Vanilla Ice Cream!

Don't like peaches? This topping is also great with cherries or blueberries. Use a couple of cans of pie filling or try fresh fruit.

No comments: