Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Benefits of a Mammogram...

This is not a public service announcement. I'm also not trying to make light of the obvious benefits of getting regular mammograms. Of course we all know that early detection is key.
But, I'm here to tell you that there are more benefits than the obvious.
Did you know that having a mammogram can put you in the right mood to "handle your business"? I went straight from the medical center after having my annual torture to Best Buy. I had a customer service issue to deal with concerning the Geek Squad and I was in just the right mood to handle it in a very assertive (not aggressive) way. Of course, I'll admit I prayed too. (smile)

I think if I ever get bored, I'm going to go to school to learn how to fix computers and get a job somewhere where normal people will feel comfortable going to get their computers fixed. This is the second time I've had an issue with the "Geeks" and it's absolutely exhausting. I'm convinced that the people that work there are not necessarily as skilled as we would assume they are. Just because they wear the white shirt and skinny black tie, doesn't mean they really know a whole lot about computers. I really think I know more about computers than the people in my local store... OK, maybe not, but I could be taught, and I would definitely know how to treat people better.

It's a generational thing. Young people these days seem to know so much more about computers (and anything with an 'on' button) than we do. I may now how to do something, but not necessarily know what it's called. I really need to study up on the technical terminology. You probably have noticed that I'm not a detailed person when it comes to terminology. I refer to something as a 'thingy' and move on to what's important to me. But in my defense, this isn't all second nature to me as it is with the younger set. There was no such thing as a personal computer when I was in high school. The computers required a room to themselves. We had to write our own programs and punch each line in on those computer card thingy. (See what I mean?) Does anybody else remember that? It was way too much work, for my taste, to get the pay off. I said all that to say that our kids who have grown up with computers so it comes to them a little easier. I'm guessing that the people in that store, because they look to be only slightly older than my oldest daughter, are in that generation. They probably make only slightly higher than minimum wage at best. They are trained to follow a series of actions and that's all they know. The skilled people are sent out in the little Punch Buggy to fix computers off site in people's homes.

The managers were very helpful and I think we have this issue resolved. They will recognize me the next time I go in there. As a matter of fact, we are already on a first name basis. (smile) I still have a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to the Geek Squad. Because of that I just may have to shop somewhere else. If I continue to shop there, inevitably I'll have to deal with the Geeks again if it's a warranty issue. See that's the thing... this should have been a warranty issue and they tried to charge us for repairs. Hopefully, it's all better, thanks to the manager with a brain.

So where do you buy your electronics? And when your computers are sick, who fixes them?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

First, you crack me up. Second, we have had some issues with the Geek Squad at the Best Buy here in Spokane. If their employer stresed customer service they would be nicer but c.s. is not a priority any more. Still, that doesn't let them off the hook. Third, love your H.A. cards!

Anonymous said...

I remember that! I learned COBOL as my first computer language and we did have to punch all the cards...what a pain. (My second was FORTRAN!) My mom got a pc that was the newest and bestest - it had a dual floppy drive (the OLD floppy that really was floppy) and it had 512k storage - and ran on DOS - no GUI! Now of course we literally can hold 10G in the palm of our hands. It really makes one think.
I have to say that I wouldn't want to deal with the Best Buy people if I could avoid it. We had a tv that had issues that we just took back and MADE them refund our money. We also wanted to purchase a portable drive and it was patently obvious that the guy didn't have a clue. Anyway, I don't really have a lot of issues with my computers, because I buy Apple. I've used them since 1988, and I just love them. They do break once in a while and I have a super tech guy who will fix the pieces that are beyond me. I can handle basic schtuff, but some of it I can't do, and he comes to the rescue. I have had nothing but helpfulness from Apple in regard to my units, and I have found them to be very reliable. Frankly, for the money, I wouldn't buy anything else. Nowadays, you can run windows on the Apple machine, so if you have to have windows based programs you can switch back and forth. I have nothing that is windows based, so that is not an issue with me. I can highly recommend Apple to you.
Zanne

Anonymous said...

Jacki - I would exactly be in your shoes if it weren't for this wonderful man I live with who is a "geek" (only a 70+ yr old one). It's amazing what that man knows about computers. Hope you don't have to go back to the Geek Squad again :>)