Saturday, April 28, 2007

Tool Time -- Fiskars Trimmer, New and Improved?


I bought another paper trimmer. I was having a hormonal moment in Walmart several weeks ago. It totally made sense at the time...
So that makes my paper trimmer total count, still 8. I gave one away last summer which brought me down to 7. I still prefer to use the ones I call Mr. and Mrs. Old Faithful.
So here's the reason I bought the trimmer. Walmart now carries the new and improved 12 inch Portable paper trimmer. Since they now stock the new and improved, they will only carry refills for the same and they've discontinued carrying the refill blades for Old Faithful. At the time, I figured sooner or later I wouldn't be able to get refills for Old Faithful as easily, so I bought all they had on clearance and the new trimmer for future when I won't be able to get the old refills. It will be a little while before I run out of the old ones, so ...?? See it totally doesn't make sense now. I do blame it on the hormones.

So what do I think of the new trimmer?? What's improved??

  • The blades slide in a track as with the Euro Trimmer.
  • This time they put the opening on the opposite end so that they blade doesn't come out every time you lift the blade track as with the Euro Trimmer.
  • They included a handle on the track, but it's too soon to tell if it will keep me from handing the blade track and inadvertantly rubbing the numbers off.
  • The measurements are in smaller increments than the original and the lines extend from one end to the other.
  • The arm extension stays in place.

What I don't like about it??

  • It's narrower ( is that a word?) With Old Faithful, I know the edge is 4 1/4. This one is around 3 inches. Maybe that will make it easier to travel with?? I don't know.

OK, so I'm getting old and I don't like change. Other than that, it's a pretty cool for the price. Which, by the way, was just under $15.00 at Walmart


Old Faithful. I've had this trimmer for 8 years. It's the one I reach for first.

Mrs. Old Faithful was purchased at MOA Scrapfest a couple years ago just because I was on a pink kick. Besides this was when my sister was getting treatment for breast cancer and this was a Fiskars fundraiser for cancer research.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I had that same moment at Walmart! The price was so good, I just had to get it...and I thought "oh, it will fit so easily in my tote"! I like it ok, I chalked the numbers I use a lot with a white chalk pencil so I could see them. I have a really big Dahle trimmer that I got on ebay and that is fabulous for big projects...and I won't tell you about all the others I own! LOL
Have a great weekend! :)
dinobomp@aol.com

ohradiogirl said...

Well, now you are acting as an enabler! ;-) I have the larger cutter w/the rotary blade, but I can't tote that around w/me. I have a 'faithful' but sometimes I think it cut crooked. Your explain for the new purchase was totally valid though I guess someone could say that it was hormonal ...